We all have certain routines or habits that we’ve adopted over the years – some of them are less than ideal for our skin. Pay particular attention to what you may be doing that can harm and age your skin. Making changes toward healthier lifestyle choices not only affects the health of your body, but also the health of your skin.
1. Smoking causes chemical changes in the body that accelerate aging. A yellow, unhealthy complexion and leathery, wrinkled skin are common among long-time smokers. This is perhaps the most controllable of all extrinsic age factors.
2. By now we all know eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables is good for overall health and wellness. More recent research also suggests that consuming fresh fruits and vegetables can prevent damage that causes premature skin aging. By the same token, eating a diet loaded with sugar and other refined carbohydrates can speed up the aging process.
3. Sleep is when skin rejuvenates itself. The National Sleep Foundation recommends that adults sleep an average of 8 hours each night. This is not only good for overall wellness, but it also keeps wrinkles and dull skin from developing. Lack of sleep causes the body to make more of the stress hormone cortisol, which leads to inflammation, which in turn causes lines, wrinkles, sagging and decreased moisture in the skin.
4. Don't stop enjoying the occasional glass of wine, just, keep in mind that when the body metabolizes alcohol, it releases a byproduct called acetaldehyde, which is toxic to body tissues and can result in red, dry, wrinkled skin. It also causes dehydration of the skin, leading to premature aging. Conversely, drinking water for hydration has major benefits for your skin. Striving for at least 8 glasses a day will help rid the body and skin of toxins.
5. Stay away from very abrasive products that can be unfavorable to your skin; things that burn, sting, and have a drying effect, are not your skins friend. Choose products that contain natural, healing, gentle ingredients that don’t strip skin, but support its aging process.
P. S. If you’re looking for a gentle exfoliant, try our UNCOVER Exfoliant, it will never strip or damage your skin, check it out here.